Parent of a Child Student Visa

You can only apply for this visa if you are the parent of a child who has or is in the process of applying for a Child Student Visa.

At the time of submitting your application, your child must be between the ages of 4 and 11 years old, and be attending an independent fee-paying school in the UK. You must also:

  • Be the only parent accompanying the child in the UK
  • Have enough money to support yourself and your child in the UK
  • Maintain your main home outside the UK
  • Plan to leave the UK once your visa expires

The child’s other parent must live abroad and cannot apply to join you in the UK. You cannot bring other family members with you on this visa. They may be able to apply to come to the UK on a short-term visit visa instead.

How long can I stay in the UK?

You can stay in the UK with your child until your child’s visa expires or they turn 12, whichever comes first. If you leave the UK and your child is remains in the UK, you must make arrangements for their ongoing care. As an example: if your child turns 12 and their visa is still valid, they may be able to start boarding at their current school or live with other family members in the UK.

How much it costs

A Parent of a Child Student visa costs £516.

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your online application. It costs £624 per year of the visa.

Money to support yourself and your child

You will need to show that you have enough money to support yourself and your child in the UK.

You’ll need £1,560 for each month of your stay, up to a maximum of 9 months. This amount is to support both you and your child.

For example, if you’re staying for 9 months or longer you’ll need to prove you have £14,040 (9 months × £1,560).

Things to consider when applying for Parent of Child Student visa:

  • You cannot do paid work
  • You cannot study
  • You may not start a business
  • You may not make the UK your main home
  • You cannot apply for benefits
  • You will not be able to switch to a different type of visa

If you require assistance in applying for a Parent of a Child Student visa, please contact us for a quote.