Parent of a Child Student Visa

Who is this visa for?

This route is for a Parent of a Child Student to come to or stay in the UK to care for their child, where the child is in the UK on a Child Student Visa, is aged between 4 and 11 years old, and is attending an independent fee-paying school (which must not be a state school or academy).

What are the basic eligibility requirements?

You must:

  • Be the only parent accompanying the child in the UK.
  • Have enough money to support yourself and your child in the UK.
  • Maintain your main home outside the UK.
  • Plan to leave the UK once your visa expires.
  • You will need £1,560 for each month of your stay up to a maximum of 9 months. This amount is to support both you and your child.For example, if you’re staying for 9 months or longer you’ll need to prove you have at least £14,040 (9 months × £1,560).

How long can I stay in the UK?

The Parent of a Child Student will be granted permission for a period which ends at the same time as the Child Student’s permission, or on the date the Child Student reaches the age of 12 years, whichever is sooner.

Can dependants join me on this route?

No. Your child’s other parent must live abroad and cannot apply to join you in the UK, and you cannot bring other family members with you on this visa.

You can only bring your other children with you if they also have or are applying for a Child Student Visa.

How long can I stay in the UK?

You can stay in the UK with your child until your child’s visa expires or they turn 12, whichever comes first.

If you leave the UK and your child is remains in the UK, you must make arrangements for their ongoing care. As an example: if your child turns 12 and their visa is still valid, they may be able to start boarding at their current school or live with other family members in the UK.

For more information on our legal services, please get in contact so that we can provide you with a quote for the same.

Learn More

How much does it cost?

  • Application fee if you apply from outside of the UK – £637.00 per person
  • Application fee if you apply from within the UK – £1,048.00 per person
  • Immigration Health Surcharge – £1,035.00 per annum for applicants 18 years of age and over

How long does it take?

You can only apply for initial entry clearance from your country of residency, and standard processing time is 15-business days as at today’s date for this route. You may be able to pay an additional fee for the priority service, and will be given more details on this and/when you submit the application.

If you are applying from within the UK, standard processing time is 8-weeks where all of the requirements are met.

When should I apply?

The earliest date that you can submit the application, is 3-months before you intend to travel to the UK. Entry clearance will take effect from a date chosen by UK Visas & Immigration, who will take into account your preferred date of entry as specified on the application form.

Things you cannot do:

  • do paid work
  • study
  • start a business
  • make the UK your main home
  • apply for benefits (public funds), or the State Pension
  • bring other family members with you
  • switch to a different type of visa
  • apply for your initial visa from within the UK if your current permission to be in the UK is as:
    • as a Visitor; or
    • as a Short-term Student; or
    • outside the Immigration Rules.

If you require assistance in applying for a Parent of a Child Student visa, please contact us for a quote.

Returning Residents Visa

This Returning Resident Visa UK is an ideal solution for UK residents who are returning to the country after an extended period away.

Parent of a Child Student Visa

This Visa is designed to allow parents of children who are studying abroad to enter the country for the purpose of visiting, providing assistance, and providing support to their children's educational pursuits.

Windrush Scheme

If you are residing in the UK but lack a document to validate your settled status, you may meet the criteria to apply for the 'Windrush Scheme'. This scheme allows you to seek a document that confirms your right to live and work in the UK.

Get in Touch

With years of experience working in UK immigration and British nationality law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps to obtain your visa. Get in touch today.