Parent Visa

Who is this visa for?

This route is exclusively for the parent of a child already living in the UK. A parent cannot rely on their relationship with a child who is not living in the UK to obtain leave in this route.

The parent applying for the visa cannot be in a relationship with the child’s other parent. If they are, then they must apply for a family visa as a spouse/partner instead.

What are the basic eligibility requirements?

Status of the child

The child of the applicant must either:

  • be under 18 on the date the parent applies for their initial visa
  • have been under 18 when the parent was first granted leave on this route, and not live an independent life. A child is living an independent life if, for example, they’ve left home, got married, and had children.

One of the following must also be true about the child:

  • they are a British or Irish citizen
  • they have settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to enter or remain, settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, or proof of permanent residence
  • they are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status – they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021
  • the child has none of the statues listed above, but has lived in the UK for at least 7 years, and it would not be reasonable for them to leave – you can only rely on this provision if you are applying from within the UK

What relationship evidence does the applicant need to provide?

The applicant must have sole or shared parental responsibility for their child.

The child’s other parent must also either:

  • be a British or Irish citizen
  • have settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to enter or remain, settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, or proof of permanent residence
  • be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status – they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021

If the child lives with their other parent or carer, the applicant must have access to the child in person, as agreed with the other parent or carer or by a court order (you must have permission from the court to disclose the order).

The applicant must be taking an active role in the child’s upbringing and plan to continue after they apply for leave under this route.

Financial Requirement

Unlike the partner/spouse route, there is no minimum income threshold for parents, though they should have enough funds to reasonably support and accommodate themselves on arrival in the UK.

English language

You must satisfy the English language requirement be either passing an approved English language test; providing specified evidence that confirms you have a degree that was taught or researched in English; proving that you are a national of a majority English speaking country as specified in the Immigration Rules; or qualify for an exemption.

How long can I stay in the UK?

If you apply for the visa from outside the UK, it is valid for 33 months. If you apply from within the UK, you will be granted leave for 30 months. You can apply for a 30-month extension prior to the expiration of your leave. The extension application should be made before your initial period of leave expires.

You cannot apply for this visa from within the UK if your only permission to be in the UK is as a visitor. If you do make an application from within the UK and you are either a visitor, or an overstayer (you have overstayed your permitted leave) then your application will be considered on Human Rights grounds under certain provisions within Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. If your application is approved on Human Rights grounds, you will be placed on the 10-year route to settlement, with a requirement to renew your visa every two and a half years. You can switch onto the 5-year route to settlement at any time if you meet all of the suitability and eligibility criteria. If you are already in the UK on another immigration route, you may be allowed to switch to a family settlement visa.

Holders of family settlement visas as a parent are permitted to work and study in the UK.

For more information on our legal services, please get in contact so that we can provide you with a quote for the same.

Book Now

Can dependants join me on this route?

Children under 18 years of age are allowed to enter the country as your dependents, however, you should submit an application for them when you apply for your own visa. You cannot bring a spouse/partner to the UK with you on this route, and they would need to apply for a visa in their own right.

How much does it cost?

  • Application fee if you apply from outside of the UK – £1,846.00 per person
  • Application fee if you apply from within the UK – £1,048.00 per person
  • Immigration Health Surcharge – £1,035.00 per annum for applicants 18 years of age and over, and £776.00 per annum for applicants under the age of 18:
    • For entry clearance applications:
      • £3,105.00 per adult
      • £2,328.00 per child
    • For in-country applications:
      • £2,587.50 per adult
      • £1,940.00 per child

How long does it take?

You can only apply for initial entry clearance from your country of residency, and standard processing time is 24-weeks as at today’s date for a Family Settlement Visa. You may be able to pay an additional fee for the priority service, and will be given more details on this and/when you submit the application.

If you are applying from within the UK, standard processing time is 12-months, but you may be able to purchase the priority service to expedite the processing of the application – you will be told if you can do this when you apply.

When should I apply?

The earliest date that you can submit the application, is 6-months before you intend to travel to the UK. Entry clearance will take effect from a date chosen by UK Visas & Immigration, who will take into account your preferred date of entry as specified on the application form.

If you require assistance with applying for a family settlement visa, please contact us for a quote.

Family Visa Services

Spouse/Partner Visa

Spouse Partners Visas offer a comprehensive service for married couples looking to apply for visas to the UK.

Adult Dependent Relative Visa

The Adult Dependent Relative Visa is a visa option designed for those who wish to join their close relatives in the UK

Parent Visa

A Parent Visa is an essential product for anyone with a parent who wants to reside in the same country as their child.

Dependent Child Visa

The Dependent Child Visa is an immigration visa that allows eligible children to join and accompany another family member residing in a country.

Get in Touch

With years of experience working in UK immigration and British nationality law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps to obtain your visa. Get in touch today.