Secondment Worker Visa

The Secondment Worker Visa is designed to facilitate the international recruitment of skilled workers, enabling them to temporarily relocate to the UK and gain valuable job experience.

You can apply for this visa if your overseas employer is transferring you to the UK to do an eligible job for a different organisation.

Your overseas employer must have a high-value contract with the UK organisation, ie with the UK sponsor that’s worth at least £50 million.

To be eligible for a Secondment Worker visa, you must:

  • be an existing employee of an overseas organisation that has a high-value contract with your UK sponsor that has been approved by the Home Office
  • have worked for your overseas employer for at least 12 months outside the UK
  • have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your sponsor with information about the work you will do in the UK
  • do a job in the UK that’s on the list of eligible occupations

You can stay in the UK with a Secondment Worker visa for whichever is shorter of:

  • 12 months after the start date of the job detailed in your certificate of sponsorship.
  • the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days.

If you want to stay longer in the UK, you can extend your visa by 12 months. The maximum time you can stay in the UK on a Secondment Worker visa is 2 years.

You can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 5 years in any 6 year period if you’ve spent time on any of these visas:

  • Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa
  • Intra-company Transfer visa
  • Graduate Trainee visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Secondment Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Senior or Specialist Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Service Supplier visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • UK Expansion Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)

Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within:

  • 3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK
  • 8 weeks, if you’re inside the UK

With a Secondment Worker visa you can:

You cannot:

  • apply for most benefits (public funds), or the State Pension
  • change jobs unless you update your visa
  • apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’)
  • do a second job

If you require assistance with applying for the Secondment Worker visa, please contact us for a quote.

For more information on our Secondment Worker Visas, please get in contact where we would love to discuss further on how we could help you.

Learn More

UK Expansion Worker Visa

This Visa facilitates the immigration of workers from non-EU countries to the UK for the purpose of expanding business and creating job opportunities.

Specialist Worker Visa

The Specialist Worker Visa is a gateway into the United Kingdom for individuals looking to pursue their career abroad. This visa allows individuals to enter the UK to work in an occupation with a specific skill and knowledge set.

Service Supplier Visa

This Visa is an easy and convenient way to secure payments with suppliers.

Graduate Trainee Visa

The Graduate Trainee Visa is a special visa designed to help foreign students transition from academic studies into the professional world.

Secondment Worker Visa

The Secondment Worker Visa provides an opportunity for businesses or companies to temporarily hire qualified professionals from other countries.

Get in Touch

With years of experience working in UK immigration and British nationality law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps to obtain your visa. Get in touch today.