Graduate Trainee Visa

The Graduate Trainee Visa is ideal for students who wish to gain experience in the professional world. This visa allows students to gain useful insights into their chosen profession, enabling them to develop their career further. Apply with confidence and get the visa that will help you take the next step.

A Graduate Trainee visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to work for your employer in their UK branch.

Your job must be eligible and part of a graduate training programme for a managerial or specialist role.

To qualify for a Graduate Trainee visa, you must:

  • be an existing employee of an organisation that’s been approved by the Home Office as a sponsor
  • have worked for your sponsor outside the UK for at least 3 months immediately before you apply
  • have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the work you will do in the UK
  • do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations
  • be paid at least £24,220 per year

You cannot apply to change (‘switch’) to a Graduate Trainee visa from inside the UK because you need to have worked for your employer overseas for 3 months immediately before you apply.

You can stay in the UK with a Graduate Trainee visa for whichever is shorter of:

  • the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days
  • 12 months

You cannot extend your visa, but you can apply for another Graduate Trainee visa from outside the UK.

You can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 5 years in any 6 year period if you’ve spent time on any of these visas:

  • Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa
  • Intra-company Transfer visa
  • Graduate Trainee visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Secondment Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Senior or Specialist Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • Service Supplier visa (Global Business Mobility)
  • UK Expansion Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)

You must have been working for your sponsor outside the UK for at least 3 months immediately before the date you apply.


You, your partner, or children will each need to:

  • pay the £259 application fee
  • pay the healthcare surcharge for each year of your stay which is normally £624 per year
  • prove you have enough personal savings – you will usually need to have at least £1270 available ( unless you are exempt)

If you require assistance with applying for the Graduate Trainee visa, please contact us for a quote.

For more information on our Graduate Trainee Visas, please get in contact where we would love to discuss further on how we could help you.

Learn More

UK Expansion Worker Visa

This Visa facilitates the immigration of workers from non-EU countries to the UK for the purpose of expanding business and creating job opportunities.

Specialist Worker Visa

The Specialist Worker Visa is a gateway into the United Kingdom for individuals looking to pursue their career abroad. This visa allows individuals to enter the UK to work in an occupation with a specific skill and knowledge set.

Service Supplier Visa

This Visa is an easy and convenient way to secure payments with suppliers.

Graduate Trainee Visa

The Graduate Trainee Visa is a special visa designed to help foreign students transition from academic studies into the professional world.

Secondment Worker Visa

The Secondment Worker Visa provides an opportunity for businesses or companies to temporarily hire qualified professionals from other countries.

Get in Touch

With years of experience working in UK immigration and British nationality law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps to obtain your visa. Get in touch today.