Child Student Visa

If you are between the ages of 4 and 17 years old and want to study in the United Kingdom, you can apply for a Child Student Visa. Applicants must:

  • Have an unconditional offer of a place on a course at an independent school, fee paying school.
  • Prove they have enough money to support themselves while in the UK and pay for their course.
  • Consent from their parents or guardians at the time they submit the application.

When to apply:

Timelines for a Child Student Visa application varies contingent if you are applying from outside the UK or inside the UK. If applying from outside the UK, you may arrive 1 month before the course starts but no earlier than the start date given on your visa.

  • Applying from Outside the UK: The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before the course starting date. Leading time for a decision is 15-business days.
  • Applying from inside the UK: The earliest you can apply is 3 months from the course starting date. You must apply before your current visa expires and the new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring. Leading time for a decision is 8-weeks.


  • £363 to apply for a Child Student Visa
  • £490 to extend or switch to Child Student visa from inside the UK

How long can I remain on a student visa?

The allowed time to stay in the UK will depend on your age on the date you submit your application:

  • Under 16: Course lengthy (up to 6 years) plus 4 months afterwards
  • 16 or 17: Course length (up to 3 years) plus 4 months afterwards

Things to consider when applying for Child Student Visa:

  • If you are 16 or over, you can work:
    • Part-time during the term for up to 10 hours per week
    • Full-time during school breaks
    • On a work placement as part of your course but no more than 50% of your course
  • You are not allowed to:
    • Study at an academy or local authority funded school or higher education institution
    • Receive public funds
    • Take a full time or permanent job or be self employed
    • Apply for settlement
    • Bring family members (dependants). If one of your parents wants to accompany you, they will need to apply for a Parent of a Child Student Visa.

If you require assistance in applying for a Child Student Visa, please contact us for a quote.