Child Student Visa
If you are between the ages of 4 and 17 years old and want to study in the United Kingdom, you can apply for a Child Student Visa. Applicants must:
- Have an unconditional offer of a place on a course at an independent, fee paying school. The school must have a sponsor licence for this route.
- Prove they have enough money to support themselves while in the UK and pay for their course.
- Consent from their parents or guardians at the time they submit the application.
When to apply:
Timelines for a Child Student Visa application varies contingent if you are applying from outside the UK or inside the UK. If applying from outside the UK, you may arrive 1 month before the course starts but no earlier than the start date given on your visa.
- Applying from Outside the UK: The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before the course starting date. Leading time for a decision is 15-business days.
- Applying from inside the UK: The earliest you can apply is 3 months from the course starting date. You must apply before your current visa expires and the new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring. Leading time for a decision is 8-weeks.
How long can I remain on a student visa?
The allowed time to stay in the UK will depend on your age on the date you submit your application:
- Under 16: Course length (up to 6 years) plus 4 months afterwards
- 16 or 17: Course length (up to 3 years) plus 4 months afterwards
Things to consider when applying for Child Student Visa:
- If you are 16 or over, you can work:
- Part-time during the term for up to 10 hours per week
- Full-time during school breaks
- On a work placement as part of your course but no more than 50% of your course
- You are not allowed to:
- Study at an academy or local authority funded school or higher education institution
- Receive public funds
- Take a full time or permanent job or be self employed
- Apply for settlement
- Bring family members (dependants). If one of your parents wants to accompany you, they will need to apply for a Parent of a Child Student Visa.
For more information on our Child Student Visas, please get in contact where we would love to discuss how we could help you in your application.Book Now
This route is for a person aged 16 or over who wants to study with a licensed sponsor on a course of further or higher education, a pre-sessional English course, a recognised foundation programme, or to take an elected post as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer.
This route is for a person aged between 4 and 17 who wants to study at an independent fee-paying school in the UK which holds a sponsor licence.
This route is for a person aged 16 and over who wants to study an English language course in the UK for between 6 and 11 months at an accredited institution.
Get in Touch
With years of experience working in UK immigration and British nationality law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps to obtain your visa. Get in touch today.