Skilled Worker Visa

Who is this visa for?

This route is for the benefit of UK-based employers who wish to recruit people to work in the UK, including in UK waters, in a specific job. A Skilled Worker must have a job offer in an eligible skilled occupation from a Home Office-approved sponsor.

This visa replaced the Tier 2 (General) Visa.

What are the basic eligibility requirements?

  • The applicant must have a job offer from a licensed UK employer, known as a ‘sponsor’. The applicant’s job must fall within one of the occupation codes on this list. To find out your occupation code, you must use this tool.
  • The applicant would need a Certificate of Sponsorship (‘CoS’) from a licensed sponsor in the UK, the list of which can be found here. For the avoidance of doubt, the applicant’s employer is their sponsor.
  • The applicant will usually need to be paid at least £38,700 per year or the ‘appropriate rate’ for the job they are offered – whichever is higher. However, they may be paid less if they have a job on the immigration salary list, have a PhD in a subject relevant to the job, have a PhD in a STEM relevant to the job, or they are a ‘new entrant’ to the labour market.
  • The applicant must meet the English language requirement by passing an approved English language test with at least a CEFR level B1 in reading, writing, speaking, and listening or they must have a degree or academic qualification that was taught or researched in English and your qualification is recognised by Ecctis as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or higher. The applicant will need to send a certificate from Ecctis confirming this when they apply. An applicant not need to prove their knowledge of English if they are a national of one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; the British Overseas Territories; Canada; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; Malta; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; United States of America.
  • The applicant must evidence that they have at least £1,270.00, in their personal bank account for 28 consecutive days prior to the date of submission. They will not be required to show proof of funds if they have been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months immediately prior to the date of application, or their employer can cover your costs during your first month in the UK, up to £1,270.00, and this is confirmed on the CoS.
  • Applicants working in certain occupation codes may need to obtain criminal record certificates prior to applying for the visa.

How long can I stay in the UK?

The applicant will be granted entry clearance, or permission to stay, until 14 days after the end date of their CoS (the end date of the CoS may be up to a maximum of 5 years after the start date of their CoS).

For more information on our legal services, please get in contact so that we can provide you with a quote for the same.

Learn More

Can dependants join me on this route?

Family members (‘dependants’) can come with you when you come to the UK on this visa.
A ‘dependant’ is any of the following:

  • your husband, wife, or partner
  • your child under 18
  • your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant

Your partner and children must have a certain amount of money available to support themselves while they’re in the UK.
You – or your partner or child – will need:

  • £285 for your partner
  • £315 for one child
  • £200 for each additional child

You won’t need evidence of your savings if you have a fully approved (‘A-rated’) sponsor certificate of sponsorship stating that your sponsor will cover your family’s costs during your first month in the UK – this must be confirmed on your certificate of sponsorship.

How much does it cost?

  • Visa Application fees if you’re applying from outside of the UK:
  • If you’re applying from inside the UK to extend, switch, or update your visa, the standard fee depends on whether you’ll be in the UK for:
  • Immigration Health Surcharge – £1,035.00 per annum for applicants 18 years of age and over, and £776.00 per annum for applicants under the age of 18.

How long does it take?

You can only apply for initial entry clearance from your country of residency, and standard processing time is 3-weeks as at today’s date for a Skilled Worker Visa.

Your passport will be retained by UKVI during this time. We do not recommend booking any travel to the UK until you are in receipt of a valid visa.

When should I apply?

The earliest date that you can submit the application, is 3-months before the start date on your CoS. Entry clearance will take effect from either the date of decision on the application, or your preferred date of entry as specified on the application form, whichever is later. The expiry date of the visa will be 14 days after the end date stated on your CoS.

What you can and cannot do:

You can:

  • work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
  • do a second job in certain circumstances
  • do voluntary work
  • study if it does not interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
  • travel abroad and return to the UK
  • bring certain family members with you
  • You can apply for indefinite leave to remain, i.e. settlement under the Skilled Worker Visa category once you have reached 5 years’ continuous leave in the United Kingdom under this route. You cannot have had more than 180 days’ absence from the United Kingdom during any consecutive 12 months of the qualifying period prior to making an application for indefinite leave to remain.

You cannot:

  • Apply for public funds
  • Change jobs or employer unless you apply to update your visa
  • You cannot apply to switch to this visa if you’re currently in the UK:
    • as a visitor
    • on a short-term student visa
    • on a Parent of a Child Student visa
    • on a seasonal worker visa
    • on a domestic worker in a private household visa
    • on immigration bail
    • because you were given permission to stay outside the immigration rules, for example on compassionate grounds.

If you require assistance with applying for the Skilled Worker visa, please contact us for a quote.

Skilled Worker Visa

The Skilled Worker Visa is an easy and efficient way for skilled professionals to work in Australia with a valid visa. The visa offers flexibility and convenience for those who need to work outside their country of origin and is approved quickly and efficiently.

Health and Care Worker Visa

The Health and Care Worker Visa is designed for professionals employed in related health and care services who are looking to remain in the UK beyond the initial period of time.

Get in Touch

With years of experience working in UK immigration and British nationality law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps to obtain your visa. Get in touch today.