Health & Care Worker Visa

Who is this visa for?

This visa is exclusively for health and care workers who have been offered a job by the National Health Service (‘NHS’), an organisation providing medical services to the NHS, or an organisation providing adult social care.

What are the basic eligibility requirements?

To qualify for a Health and Care Worker visa, you must:

  • Be a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional, or adult social care professional.
  • The applicant must have a job offer from a licensed UK employer, known as a ‘sponsor’. The applicant’s job must fall within one of the occupation codes on this list. To find out your occupation code, you must use this tool.
  • The applicant would need a Certificate of Sponsorship (‘CoS’) from a licensed sponsor in the UK, the list of which can be found here. For the avoidance of doubt, the applicant’s employer is their sponsor.
  • The applicant will usually need to be paid at least £23,200 per annum, or the going rate for their occupation code, whichever is higher.
  • The applicant must meet the English language requirement by passing an approved English language test with at least a CEFR level B1 in reading, writing, speaking, and listening or they must have a degree or academic qualification that was taught or researched in English and your qualification is recognised by Ecctis as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or higher. The applicant will need to send a certificate from Ecctis confirming this when they apply. An applicant not need to prove their knowledge of English if they are a national of one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; the British Overseas Territories; Canada; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; Malta; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; United States of America.
  • You may also need to provide a criminal record certificate, and tuberculosis test results.

For more information on our legal services, please get in contact so that we can provide you with a quote for the same.

Learn More

How long can I stay in the UK?

The applicant will be granted entry clearance, or permission to stay, until 14 days after the end date of their CoS (the end date of the CoS may be up to a maximum of 5 years after the start date of their CoS).

Can dependants join me on this route?

From 11 March 2024, migrants living in the UK or applying to come to the UK under the following occupation codes can no longer bring dependants to the UK with them:

  • the SOC 2020 occupation code “6135 Care workers and home carers” or “6136 Senior care workers”, or;
  • the SOC 2010 occupation code “6145 Care workers and home carers” or “6146 Senior care workers”.

Otherwise, family members (‘dependants’) can come with you when you come to the UK on this visa.

A ‘dependant’ is any of the following:

  • your husband, wife, or partner
  • your child under 18
  • your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant

Your partner and children must have a certain amount of money available to support themselves while they’re in the UK.
You – or your partner or child – will need:

  • £285 for your partner
  • £315 for one child
  • £200 for each additional child

You won’t need evidence of your savings if you have a fully approved (‘A-rated’) sponsor certificate of sponsorship stating that your sponsor will cover your family’s costs during your first month in the UK – this must be confirmed on your certificate of sponsorship.

How much does it cost?

The standard application fee depends on whether you’ll be in the UK for:

  • up to 3 years – £284 per person
  • more than 3 years – £551 per person

The fee is the same whether you apply from inside or outside the UK.

Unlike most immigration routes in the UK, there is no immigration health surcharge payable for this visa.

You must have at least £1,270 in your personal bank account for at least 28 consecutive days prior to the date of application to show you can support yourself in the UK, unless your employer has certified your maintenance on your CoS.

How long does it take?

You can only apply for initial entry clearance from your country of residency, and standard processing time is 3-weeks as at today’s date for a Health and Care Worker Visa.

Your passport will be retained by UKVI during this time. We do not recommend booking any travel to the UK until you are in receipt of a valid visa.

When should I apply?

The earliest date that you can submit the application, is 3-months before the start date on your CoS. Entry clearance will take effect from either the date of decision on the application, or your preferred date of entry as specified on the application form, whichever is later. The expiry date of the visa will be 14 days after the end date stated on your CoS.

What you can and cannot do:

You can:

  • work for your sponsor in the job described in your CoS
  • take on additional work in certain circumstances
  • do voluntary work
  • study
  • travel abroad and return to the UK
  • bring certain family members to the UK with you
  • apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) if you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years and meet the other eligibility requirements

You cannot:

  • apply for most benefits (public funds), or the State Pension
  • change jobs or employer unless you update your visa
  • bring any dependants to the UK with you if you are a care worker, or senior care worker unless you had permission to be in the UK under the Rules in force before 11 March 2024
  • You cannot apply to switch to this visa if you’re currently in the UK:
    • as a visitor
    • on a short-term student visa
    • on a Parent of a Child Student visa
    • on a seasonal worker visa
    • on a domestic worker in a private household visa
    • on immigration bail
    • because you were given permission to stay outside the immigration rules, for example on compassionate grounds.

If you require assistance with applying for the Health and Care Worker Visa, please contact us for a quote.

Skilled Worker Visa

The Skilled Worker Visa is an easy and efficient way for skilled professionals to work in Australia with a valid visa. The visa offers flexibility and convenience for those who need to work outside their country of origin and is approved quickly and efficiently.

Health and Care Worker Visa

The Health and Care Worker Visa is designed for professionals employed in related health and care services who are looking to remain in the UK beyond the initial period of time.

Get in Touch

With years of experience working in UK immigration and British nationality law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps to obtain your visa. Get in touch today.