Media Representative of an Overseas Business

You can apply as a representative of an overseas business if you’re an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK.

If you’re a representative of an overseas business planning to set up its first UK branch, apply for a UK Expansion Worker visa (Global Business Mobility) instead.

You must also meet the other eligibility requirements.

If you’re already in the UK as a sole representative, you can still apply to extend your stay.

How long it will take

If you apply from outside the UK, the earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.

If you apply from inside the UK

You will get a decision within 8 weeks.

UKVI will contact you if your application will take longer, for example:

  • if your supporting documents need to be verified
  • if you need to attend an interview
  • because of your personal circumstances (for example, if you have a criminal conviction)

Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expires.


If you apply from outside the UK, a Representative of an Overseas Business visa costs £625.

If you apply from inside the UK, the visa costs £719. You’ll also need to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken – there’s no fee for this.

For more information on Media Representative for Overseas Business services, please get in contact where we would love to discuss further on how we could help you.

Learn More

Healthcare surcharge

You must pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

How long you can stay

The visa lets you stay in the UK for an initial period of 3 years.

You may be able to extend your visa for another 2 years.

After you’ve been in the UK for 5 years, you can apply for permission to settle permanently in the UK.

What you can and cannot do

You can:

  • work for your employer, full time
  • bring your family (‘dependants’) with you to the UK
  • apply to extend your visa
  • apply to settle in the UK after you’ve been here for 5 years
  • switch to this visa from inside the UK

You cannot:

  • work for yourself or any other business
  • get public funds

Media Representative of an Overseas Business

The option to obtain an Overseas Media Representative Visa is available for individuals who wish to work in the UK as representatives of overseas media organisations on long-term assignments.

Innovator Founder Visa

The Innovator Founder Visa offers entrepreneurs a unique pathway for their startup to join the UK economy.

Minister of Religion Visa

This Minister of Religion Visa is designed to provide visa holders with tailored protection to allow them to fulfill their religious duties throughout their stay.

Frontier Worker Permit

The Frontier Worker Permit provides an easy, convenient way to obtain special access to work in the Frontier. By simply obtaining this permit, you will have all the necessary permissions and clearance to work without delay.

Overseas Domestic Worker Visa

The Overseas Domestic Worker Visa is an ideal solution for those looking to extend their stay in the country for longer periods. It provides the necessary rights and permissions to live and work as domestic workers in an another country.

Service Providers from Switzerland Visa

Under the Service Providers from Switzerland route, eligible employers, companies, or self-employed individuals have the opportunity to enter into contracts with a UK-based party for a maximum duration of 90 days per calendar year.

Scale-up Worker route

The Scale-up Worker Visa route offers a streamlined process for highly skilled workers to enter the UK.

Get in Touch

With years of experience working in UK immigration and British nationality law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps to obtain your visa. Get in touch today.