There are many benefits when you decide to naturalise as a British Citizen. One of the many benefits is to be able to live and work in the United Kingdom without being subjected to immigration control. Some other benefits also include the ability to travel visa free to many countries and receive consular assistance when traveling around the globe.
How can I apply?
Application for naturalisation can be submitted online.
The key requirements for British Naturalisation are:
- The applicant must have indefinite leave to remain or indefinite leave to enter the UK.
- The applicant must 18 years of age or older.
- The applicant must be a person of good character and a person of sound mind.
- The applicant must have had indefinite leave for at least 12 months prior to the date of application, unless they are married to or in a civil partnership with a British Citizen.
- Depending on your age and capacity, you may need to pass a “Life in the UK” test and/or an English language test before you apply.
- The applicant must have an intention to live in the UK.
- The applicant should not have been absent from the UK for 450 days or more in the 5 years prior to the date the application is submitted, and no more than 90 days should have been spent outside of the UK in the 12 months prior to the date of application. If the applicant is married to, or in a civil partnership with a British Citizen then they should not have absences from the UK exceeding 270 days in the 3 years prior to the date the application is submitted, and no more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to the date of application. There are some exceptions to these rules in certain circumstances.
When Should I apply?
You can apply for British Citizenship by naturalisation whenever you like, if you meet the criteria.
Is it possible to include my dependent children in my application?
Yes, but children under the age of 18 will only be registered as British Citizens at the discretion of the Home Secretary.
Can I apply for a British passport after being naturalised?
Once your certificate of naturalisation has been granted, you may then apply for a British passport. Applying for a British Passport sometimes requires the applicant to have an interview with the Home Office.
Please contact us if you are considering applying for British Citizenship by naturalisation and need assistance with your application.