British Citizenship by Naturalisation
If you do not qualify for British Citizenship by Registration, you may qualify for British Citizenship by Naturalisation. You usually need to have lived in the UK for a specified period of time, and be free of immigration time restrictions when you apply. You can submit the application from inside or outside of the UK.
How can I apply?
Applications for naturalisation can be submitted online.
The key requirements for British Naturalisation are:
- The applicant must usually have indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK.
- The applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- The applicant must be a person of good character and a person of sound mind.
- The applicant must usually have had indefinite leave for at least 12 months prior to the date of application, unless they are married to or in a civil partnership with a British Citizen.
- Depending on your age and capacity, you may need to pass a “Life in the UK” test and/or an English language test before you apply.
- The applicant must have an intention to live in the UK after they become a British Citizen, unless they are married to or in a civil partnership with a British Citizen.
- The applicant should not have been absent from the UK for 450 days or more in the 5 years prior to the date the application is submitted, and no more than 90 days should have been spent outside of the UK in the 12 months prior to the date of application. If the applicant is married to, or in a civil partnership with a British Citizen then they should not have absences from the UK exceeding 270 days in the 3 years prior to the date the application is submitted, and no more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to the date of application. There are some exceptions to these rules in certain circumstances.
- You must be able to provide the details of two referees with your application, who can verify your identity.
When should I apply?
You can apply for British Citizenship by naturalisation whenever you like, if you meet the criteria.
Is it possible to include my dependent children in my application?
Yes, but children under the age of 18 will only be registered as British Citizens at the discretion of the Home Secretary.
Can I apply for a British passport after being naturalised?
Once your certificate of naturalisation has been granted, you may then apply for a British passport. Applying for a British Passport sometimes requires the applicant to have an interview with the Home Office.
For more information on our British Citizenship by Naturalisation Services, please get in contact where we would love to discuss how we could help you in your application.Book Now
British Nationality offers applicants a secure path to gaining full British citizenship. With a range of options for those who qualify.
This can provide a gateway to naturalisation as a British citizen.
This service is your go-to source for all passport needs. We provide a fast, simple and secure service to get the passport you need, without any hassle.
This offers holders of Right of Abode & Certificates of Entitlement with the necessary documentation for secure and legal access to a wide variety of locations and services..
Get in Touch
With years of experience working in UK immigration and British nationality law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps to obtain your visa. Get in touch today.