International Agreement Visa

You can apply for a Temporary Work – International Agreement visa if you’ll be contracted to do work covered by international law or treaty while in the UK. This includes working:

  • for an overseas government or ‘recognised international organisation’
  • as a private servant in a diplomatic household

This visa has replaced the Temporary Worker – International Agreement Worker visa (T5).

If you are being contracted to provide services to a UK company, apply for a Service Supplier visa (Global Business Mobility) instead.


You need to be sponsored (have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer) before you can apply to come to the UK.

The work you do in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation.

How long it takes

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship.

Getting a decision

Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within:

  • 3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK
  • 8 weeks, if you’re inside the UK

If you need to go to an appointment, you may be able to pay for a faster decision. How you do this depends on whether you’re outside the UK or inside the UK.

For more information on International Agreement Visas, please get in contact where we would love to discuss further on how we could help you.

Learn More

How much it costs

You, your partner or children will each need to:

  • pay the application fee
  • pay the healthcare surcharge, which is usually £624 per year – you can check how much you’ll have to pay
  • prove you have enough personal savings – check how much in the eligibility requirements

Application fee

The application fee for each person applying is £259.

The fee is the same whether you’re applying from inside or outside the UK.

How long you can stay

How long you can stay in the UK depends on the type of work you do.

If you’re an overseas government worker or international organisation worker, you can stay for up to 2 years or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus up to 14 days, whichever is shorter.

If you’re a private servant in a diplomatic household, you can stay for up to 5 years. You can apply for up to 2 years at a time or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus up to 14 days, whichever is shorter.

When you can enter and leave

You can enter the UK on the date your visa starts.

You may be asked to leave the UK within 60 days if your job finishes early. It’s unlikely you’ll have to leave if your visa has less than 60 days remaining.

What you can and cannot do

You can:

  • study – for some courses you’ll need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate
  • work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
  • do a second job on the Skilled Worker shortage occupation list or one in the same sector as your main job for up to 20 hours per week (unless you are a private servant)
  • study, as long as it does not interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
  • travel abroad and return to the UK
  • bring your partner and children with you as your ‘dependants’, if they’re eligible

You cannot:

  • get public funds
  • start working before you get your visa

Seasonal Worker Visa

The Seasonal Worker Visa will allow approved individuals to work in their desired country on a limited, seasonal basis.

Government Authorised Exchange Visa

This Visa is an essential card for those looking to travel across international borders. It offers easy access to exchange facilities and is backed by a range of government bodies

Creative Worker Visa

The Creative Worker Visa provides professionals and entrepreneurs alike with the opportunity to experience a whole new realm of artistic expression.

Religious Worker Visa

The Religious Worker Visa allows holders to work in the UK for religious organisations and institutions on a temporary basis.

Charity Worker Visa

This Visa is a crucial resource for those looking to help serve a charitable cause while abroad. It allows international travellers and non-profit workers alike to stay in the necessary country and complete their work in the best way possible.

International Agreement Visa

The International Agreement Visa is the perfect tool for global business professionals and entrepreneurs. It allows for seamless international travel with access to over 100 countries.

Get in Touch

With years of experience working in UK immigration and British nationality law, our advisors can help you understand the process and take the right steps to obtain your visa. Get in touch today.