International Sportsperson Visa
The International Sportsperson route is for an elite sportsperson or qualified sports coach who is internationally established and can make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at its highest level in the UK.
How do I qualify for the visa?
You can apply for an International Sportsperson visa if all of the following apply:
- you’re an elite sportsperson or qualified coach, who’s recognised by your sport’s governing body as being at the highest level of your profession internationally
- you have been issued with a certificate of sponsorship by your employer
- your sport’s governing body is endorsing your application
- your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
- you must prove your knowledge of English
- you mut have personal savings of in the amount of at least £1,270 to evidence you are able to support yourself when you first arrive in the UK
- you may need to provide your tuberculosis test results if you are from a listed country
How long can I stay?
- Your visa can last for up to 3 years. You can extend it as long as you’re still eligible.
- After 5 years, you may be able to settle permanently in the UK.
How much does it cost?
- If you’re staying up to 12 months, the fee is £259 per person.
- If you’re staying for longer than 12 months, the fee depends on whether you’re:
- applying outside the UK – £625 per person
- applying inside the UK to extend or switch – £719 per person
You will also need to pay the immigration health surcharge as part of your application, which is £624 per annum for a person aged 18 or over, and £470 per annum for a person aged 17 and under.
Things you can and cannot do
- work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
- do a second job, in certain circumstances
- play for your national team in the UK
- work as a sports broadcaster
- do voluntary work
- study as long as it does not interfere with the job you are sponsored for
- travel abroad and back from the UK
- bring your partner and children as your dependents if they are eligible
- start or run a business
- get public funds
- apply for a second job until you’ve started working for your sponsor
How do I apply?
You must apply online on the www.gov.uk website.
If you require any assistance with applying for the International Sportsperson Visa, please contact us for a quote.