International Sportsperson Visa

The International Sportsperson route is for an elite sportsperson or qualified sports coach who is internationally established and can make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at its highest level in the UK.

How do I qualify for the visa?

You can apply for an International Sportsperson visa if all of the following apply:

  • you’re an elite sportsperson or qualified coach, who’s recognised by your sport’s governing body as being at the highest level of your profession internationally
  • you have been issued with a certificate of sponsorship by your employer
  • your sport’s governing body is endorsing your application
  • your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements
    • you must prove your knowledge of English
    • you mut have personal savings of in the amount of at least £1,270 to evidence you are able to support yourself when you first arrive in the UK
    • you may need to provide your tuberculosis test results if you are from a listed country

How long can I stay?

  • Your visa can last for up to 3 years. You can extend it as long as you’re still eligible.
  • After 5 years, you may be able to settle permanently in the UK.

How much does it cost?

  • If you’re staying up to 12 months, the fee is £259 per person.
  • If you’re staying for longer than 12 months, the fee depends on whether you’re:
    • applying outside the UK – £625 per person
    • applying inside the UK to extend or switch – £719 per person

You will also need to pay the immigration health surcharge as part of your application, which is £624 per annum for a person aged 18 or over, and £470 per annum for a person aged 17 and under.

Things you can and cannot do

You can:

  • work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
  • do a second job, in certain circumstances
  • play for your national team in the UK
  • work as a sports broadcaster
  • do voluntary work
  • study as long as it does not interfere with the job you are sponsored for
  • travel abroad and back from the UK
  • bring your partner and children as your dependents if they are eligible

You cannot:

  • start or run a business
  • get public funds
  • apply for a second job until you’ve started working for your sponsor

How do I apply?

You must apply online on the website.

If you require any assistance with applying for the International Sportsperson Visa, please contact us for a quote.