British Nationals (Overseas) Visa
If you hold British National (Overseas) Citizenship and you have ties with Hong Kong, you may be eligible for a British National (Overseas) Visa also known as BNO visa.
How do I qualify?
You can apply for a BNO visa if:
- You are British National (Overseas)
- 18 years or older
- If applying from outside the UK, your permanent home must be Hong Kong.
- If applying from inside the UK, your permanent home must be in the UK, the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, or Hong Kong.
How long can I stay in the UK?
You can apply to stay for 30 months or 5 years. You will be able to extend you visa if you want to stay longer. After living in the UK for 5 years, you may be eligible to apply to live in the UK permanently.
How much does it cost?
The breakdown of fees for the visa is as follows:
- Visa Application Fee – £180 if you are applying for a 30-month visa, or £250 if you are applying for a 5-year visa.
- Immigration Health Surcharge – £624 per annum for adults and £470 per annum for children under 18 for the duration of the visa. The IHS fee must be paid in full when you submit an application.
- Biometric enrolment fee for in-country applications – £19.20
How much you need depends on how many family members are applying with you. For example, you’ll need about:
- £2,000 for a single adult
- £3,100 for a couple with a child
- £4,600 for a couple with 3 children
- £9,200 for a couple, 2 parents and 2 adult children
Things to consider when applying for a BNO visa
- You can work (except you cannot work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach)
- You can study
- You cannot apply for most benefits and public funds
If you require assistance with applying for a British National (overseas) Visa, please contact us for a quote.