British Nationals (Overseas) Visa

If you hold British National (Overseas) Citizenship and you have ties with Hong Kong, you may be eligible for a British National (Overseas) Visa also known as BNO visa.

How do I qualify?

You can apply for a BNO visa if:

  • You are British National (Overseas)
  • 18 years or older
  • If applying from outside the UK, your permanent home must be Hong Kong.
  • If applying from inside the UK, your permanent home must be in the UK, the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, or Hong Kong.

How long can I stay in the UK?

You can apply to stay for 30 months or 5 years. You will be able to extend you visa if you want to stay longer. After living in the UK for 5 years, you may be eligible to apply to live in the UK permanently.

How much does it cost?

The breakdown of fees for the visa is as follows:

  • Visa Application Fee – £180 if you are applying for a 30-month visa, or £250 if you are applying for a 5-year visa.
  • Immigration Health Surcharge – £624 per annum for adults and £470 per annum for children under 18 for the duration of the visa. The IHS fee must be paid in full when you submit an application.
  • Biometric enrolment fee for in-country applications – £19.20

Maintenance Funds

How much you need depends on how many family members are applying with you. For example, you’ll need about:

  • £2,000 for a single adult
  • £3,100 for a couple with a child
  • £4,600 for a couple with 3 children
  • £9,200 for a couple, 2 parents and 2 adult children

Things to consider when applying for a BNO visa

  • You can work (except you cannot work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach)
  • You can study
  • You cannot apply for most benefits and public funds

If you require assistance with applying for a British National (overseas) Visa, please contact us for a quote.