You must apply for a standard visitor visa if you are a visa national and you intend to come to the UK for a holiday, to see family and friends, medical treatment, short term business or one-off business travel. Non-visa nationals do not need to apply for entry clearance prior to travelling to the UK, and will instead apply for leave to enter on arrival at a UK port or airport. If you are a non-visa national, you should travel with the same documents that you would use to make an entry clearance application. If you a non-visa national with a criminal record or adverse immigration history in the UK, you should make an entry clearance application for a standard visitor visa.
Please see the requirements for a standard visitor visa below:
Standard Visitor Visa
• This visa permits entry to the UK for up to 6 months. This can be extended for under certain circumstances and if you are coming for medical treatment or academic research the period you are allowed to stay is automatically longer.
• You can:
- take part in any of the business-related activities mentioned in the Visitor Rules;
- study for up to 30 days, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit;
- convert your civil partnership into a marriage;
- And pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country).
• You cannot:
- do paid or unpaid work;
- live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits;
- get public funds;
- or marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership.
• You must leave the UK at the end of your visit.
• You must prove you’re able to support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip.
• You must prove you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs relating to your visit.
• You need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to stay during your visit in the UK.
• You should also evidence your ties to your country of residency, such as providing a copy of your lease agreement or home ownership document, employment or pension income, and other assets you may have. It is also helpful to include a list of family and friends you have in your home country.
You do not need a sponsor to come to the UK as a visitor.
The breakdown of fees for the visa is as follows:
• A Standard Visitor visa costs £95.00.
• The fee for a long-term Standard Visitor visa depends on its length (NOTE: you can spend a maximum of 6 months in the UK per visit with a long-term visitor visa):
- 2 years – £361.
- 5 years – £655.
- 10 years – £822.
You can apply for a visitor visa at any visa application centre overseas, but you should be present legally in the country you’re applying from. Standard processing time for a visitor visa is 15-business days and your passport will be retained by UK Visas and Immigration during this time.
Should you wish to have a consultation to discuss the requirements for a standard visitor visa, please get in touch.