UK Unmarried Partner Visa/Permit

The Immigration Rules and the EEA Regulations recognise and acknowledge the status of an unmarried partner. This means that an unmarried partner has the same rights as a spouse of an EEA National, British Citizen, or settled person.

In order to qualify as an unmarried partner you must evidence that you and your partner have been living together in a relationship akin to a marriage or civil partnership for at least two full years prior to the date of application. Simply being in a relationship with a person for two years is not enough. You must also prove that you have a long term intention to live together. Effectively the relationship must be similar to a marriage i.e. long term commitment.

How do you prove that you are in an unmarried relationship living together for at least two years?

If you instruct Muldoon Britton we will provide you with a complete list of documents and information which you must provide in order to apply. As a guide, the applicant should be aware that they must provide:

• Bank Statements;

• Household Bills

• Evidence of joint expenses

• Tenancy or lease agreements

The intention of the Rules relating to unmarried and same sex partners is to allow genuine long-term relationships to continue. It is not an open door to couples who are in the early stages of a cohabiting relationship but provides an opportunity for those couples who are already living together in a committed relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership to enter or remain in the UK on this basis.

There are different requirements depending on whether you are making an application under the Immigration Rules or the EEA Regulations.

Our Services

• We can assess the merits of your application and advise on the procedure for making an unmarried partner application.

• We can advise you on the best route and the best method for increasing your chances of a successful application.

• We can advise as to the merits of an appeal should your entry clearance application be refused

• We can prepare and represent you in any appeal

Please contact us for a consultation to discuss the requirements for an unmarried partner visa or European Family Permit.