Student Visa

If you would like to study in the United Kingdom and are not a British or EEA National, you will need to apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa. This UK visa allows students either at school, university, or college, to study in the United Kingdom. To be eligible for the visa, you must have a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies from an educational institution that has a Tier 4 Sponsor License.

Who Should Apply for a Tier 4 UK Visa?

There are two types of Tier 4 Student visas:

1. Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa – this is for students under 18 years of age who have been offered a place at a UK educational institution. The institution must be in possession of a Tier 4 Sponsorship License and is usually a fee-paying school. Some children over 16 years of age are permitted to work for a maximum of 10 hours a week during term and full time during the holidays.

2. Tier 4 (General) Student Visa – You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:

• have been offered a place on a course

• can speak, read, write and understand English

• have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary depending on your circumstances

• are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

• meet the other eligibility requirements

Tier 4 (General) Student visa holders who attend further education colleges are not allowed to switch to another UK visa category within the UK once they have completed their studies. College students who want to work in the UK after studying will have to leave the UK and apply for a settlement or work visa from outside of the country.

Information for Tier 4 UK Visa Family Members

You can apply to bring a dependant to the UK if you’re:

• sponsored by a higher education institution on a course at level 7 on the Ofqual register or above that lasts 1 year or more;

• a new government-sponsored student on a course that lasts longer than 6 months;

• or a Doctorate Extension Scheme student.

Do You Need More Information?

If you would like to apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa and are unsure whether or not you meet the requirements, please contact us to arrange a consultation.