UK Tier 2 Visa

If you currently reside outside of Switzerland and the EEA and would like to work for a company based in the United Kingdom, you may be eligible for a Tier 2 UK visa. To qualify for the Tier 2 visa, applicants must meet the following criteria:

  1. Be in possession of an accredited certificate of sponsorship from a UK company
  2. Meet pre-determined salary requirements as stated in the Tier 2 requirements
  3. Have a certain amount of savings before going over to the UK

Who Should Apply for the Tier 2 UK Visa?

The Tier 2 visa is aimed at skilled workers who wish to immigrate to the UK and take up employment that usually pays a salary of £20,800 or more, per year.

How Long is a Tier 2 Visa Valid For?

The visa is valid for up to five years and 14 months, or up to a month after the time frame stated on the certificate of sponsorship, depending on which comes first. The visa can be extended for up to six years. To qualify for a Tier 2 UK visa, applicants are required to have funds of at least £945 and should have had this amount for three months or longer, unless their sponsor can guarantee maintenance with the UK Home Office (this options is only available for “A rated” sponsors).

Salary Requirements

The job listed on the applicant’s certificate of sponsorship needs to pay an acceptable salary of at least £20,800 per annum. However, there are some exceptions for certain groups.

Workers whose current or previous permission to enter the country fall under the below categories have differing salary requirements:

  • Ground staff who are employed by an airline that is not based in the UK
  • General Tier 2 visa holders who received visas prior to April 2011
  • Workers who are employed by a media outlet, such as a television news station, that is not based in the United Kingdom
  • Religious workers, including missionaries, ministers, and religious order members and employees of Jewish agencies
  • Unregistered nursing staff
  • Work permit holders

Tier 2 Visa Additional Employment

Tier 2 permit holders who want to leave their job for a new employer will have to apply for a new Tier 2 visa. Those in possession of a Tier 2 visa may work an extra 2 hours per week –

  • Outside the working hours covered by the original certificate of sponsorship
  • In another job, provided it is on the shortage occupation list or is within the same sector and at the same level as the work stated on the certificate of sponsorship

Do You Need More Information?

Muldoon Britton has offices in the UK and New York and our lawyers are trained and qualified in both UK and Irish law. If you have a case in the UK or Ireland, you can use our services to take legal action without having to leave the United Stated. Contact us for an initial free consultation so that we can assess your case and advise on the best way forward.