UK Tier 4 Visa

If you would like to study in the United Kingdom and currently live outside the EEA and Switzerland, you will need to apply for a tier 4 student visa. This UK visa allows students either at school, university, or college, to study in the United Kingdom. To be eligible for the visa, you must have a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies from a British educational institution that has a tier 4 sponsorship license.

Who Should Apply for a Tier 4 UK Visa?

There are two kinds of tier 4 student visas:

  1. Tier 4 child student visa – this is for students under 18 years of age who have been offered a place at a UK educational institution. The institution must be in possession of a tier 4 sponsorship license and is usually a fee-paying school. Some children over 16 years of age are permitted to work for a maximum of 10 hours a week during term and full time during the holidays.
  2. Tier 4 general student visa – this visa is for students 18 years of age and older who have been offered a place at a UK educational institution. This visa covers degree level courses and level 3 courses, including A levels. Some students can work for a maximum of 20 hours per week during the term and full time during the holidays.

How to Qualify for a Tier 4 Visa

Students can apply for a tier 4 (general) student visa if:

  • They have received an offer on a course from an institution with a licensed tier 4 sponsor
  • They can speak, read, and write English. Applicants are required to take an English Language test if English is not their first language
  • Students have enough money to pay for their course and support themselves

Tier 4 (general)student visa holders who attend further education colleges are not allowed to switch to another UK visa category within the UK once they have completed their studies. College students who want to work in the UK after studying will have to leave the UK and apply for a settlement or work visa from outside of the country.

Information for Tier 4 UK Visa Family Members

Some students like to bring family members with them. The tier 4 (general) student visa allows family member to put forward an application to come to the UK with the student visa holder, or remain if they are already in the UK. To bring family members to the UK with them, students should meet at least one of the below criteria:

  • They are sponsored by the UK government on a course that lasts at least 6 months
  • They are studying towards a UK Master’s degree or a higher qualification in the United Kingdom for at least 12 months
  • They are studying on a Doctorate Extension Scheme

Do You Need More Information?

If you would like to apply for a tier 4 (general) UK student visa, or discuss a spousal visa or settlement visa in the UK, please contact us for a free consultation.